Saturday, May 18, 2019

The Curse of the Kenyan coffee bag

It all began innocently enough on Sunday evening when I decided to buy some beans instead of spending money on the americanos one must drink here since drip coffee is not a thing. This is after a trip down to Suwon, an hour away, because someone posted a sign for a shoe store that carried large read: Western-sized) handmade shoes. This, naturally, was a mirage, as the store had barely any sandals (what I needed), & only went up to size 8. I then wandered til I came to a store that ALSO only went up to size 8 in 2 styles, & I went with the pair that felt least likely to give me blisters & would go with most of my clothes. Sandals I paid 4x the price of in America bc EVERYTHING outside the US is a giant, motherfucking rip-off.

Monday morning I had time to make coffee, since I've re-aggravated a hip flexor injury that has now expanded to include my left outer hip. While I can now walk pretty much pain-free, bringing my knee up to my stomach or extending the leg back is still painful, so not much working out happening on MWF, my leg days. I then left,  & had just sat down on the bus when I realized I'd left  the coffee on the counter.

Tuesday I was committed to taking it with me, so even though it isn't to be done, I took the coffee I brewed Monday with me on Tuesday. I held it against my left side as I had recycling to take down, when I started feeling a cold wetness there. My coffee container had apparently sprung a leak, & coffee was spilling all over my clothes. Luckily, miraculously, it really wasn't noticeable, so at least I didn't have to deal with looks or comments at work.

Undeterred & ready with a liquid carrier I'd inherited from Ashling, I made cold brew on Tuesday night, & set the contained coffee in front of my door.

I was waiting for the elevator with my hands once again/as usual full of garbage/recycling, when I dropped the coffee, which exploded all over the floor, my legs, & new shoes. I was  minutes late leaving for the bank because I not only needed to transfer money to my American account for bills, but also FINALLY was going to ask to set up a remittance account, so I don't have to take these trips to the bank & fill out paperwork to send money to my US account each month. With the remittance account, I can do it from an ATM. So now I had to go back to my apartment to wipe myself off. I left the puddle on the floor in front of the elevator, though I did put as many paper towels as I had on the roll left, pretty much ineffectually, on the floor.

I rushed out again, incredibly agitated because as I said, I had shit to do. We transfer the money, but OF COURSE when I ask for the remittance account, which was made for foreigners & many of my friends have, was told that only Koreans can get that account.

Of course. Because who else BUT a Korean would need to regularly send money to the US, or England, or anywhere outside of Korea on a regular basis, insular country that this is?! So now I have the unmitigated joy of running around Korea finding a bank with a teller who DOES know how to open this account.

& finally, the next day I went to see my doctor for my monthly check-up. Nothing new there, except I asked about how long a pulled muscle takes to heal, & she told me to go down to the 3rd floor of that building and see the orthopedic. The blessed man trained in the US, speaks English, & of ALLLLLL my luck, after an x-ray & an ultrasound, said I had torn, not pulled, the muscle. He said it shouldn't require surgery, but I needed to rest & not workout for about 5 weeks. Because, awesome. Aside from needing to remain bathing suit ready for summer, I get the added bonus of my anxiety not having exercise to help keep it checked. So really? This week could go bite itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment