Saturday, July 6, 2019

Email's too overwhelming,

so I'll just update you here.

I'm on day 2.5 of my time in Laos. Really nice so far. Downside to coming during slow season: NOOOO couchsurfers, & mostly couples or groups of friends, so no real chance to meet people. But the upside is that there aren't any lines, sites aren't crowded. & no dodging masses of people to move, which is a big upside.

But hell before we even get into Laos, let's get into the anxiety I sat with for an hour or 2 in customs, because not only was I sure I'd forgotten a visa picture (JUST saw that I hadn't, they were here the whole time, but it's not a big deal because for $1 they'll just scan your passport photo). No, it's because the visa is $34US, & I FORGOT TO GET CASH. I was legit sure they were going to deny me entry for that. Turns out, you just go through customs by telling the police you're going to an ATM (while the visa agents keep your passport), so it was all ok after all.

There actually were 2 couchsurfers who posted to meet yesterday: 1 a Laotian guy with good references, & an Indian guy who has hosted with his girlfriend, & they have good references (though I suspect now that the girlfriend didn't join him here). I was down to meet one or both, except that the conversation that took place between these 2 before was them saying hey, what's up, followed by the Laotian guy asking if there were any girls. Seriously dude? Funny but TRUE thing: it's ILLEGAL for foreigners to have sex with Laotians! Not an issue for me for any number of reasons, but really not into guys who are blatantly just using couchsurfing for dating. Today he invited me to go see some older temples on the other side of the Mekong. AWESOME, except I don't know this guy, so just hopping on a motorcycle the first time I meet him isn't really something I'm comfortable with doing. Oh, & all his references are females. So... highly unlikely.

Otherwise, it's only as hot as Korea in summer, perhaps a bit less humid if you can even believe it , still  plenty of sun, just spots of rain. I'm wearing my Cambodia pants all the time & so far the insect repellent is working great. I even like the way it smells on me!

Haven't really been inside any temples yet-- they're much more like Thailand than the old ones from Cambodia. Yesterday I climbed stairs to this "mountain" (more like a big hill) that has a stupa on top, but it was only from the 1800s. Haven't done any tours yet, hopefully will before I leave Tuesday.

Conflicted because I'm SUPER cheap like dad (except I always have to be) & my places offer free breakfast but it's 2 eggs & a hot dog of course. Laos has their own sausage, as does Korea, so why the FUCK ALL of Asia thinks a hot dog is a breakfast sausage is beyond me). 2 eggs is what 2-year-olds eat. I need 4-6 at least. But such is the story of my life.

So far, food has been good. I'm still not sure on the sausage-- it looks like it may include rice powder. I can keep getting chicken or even duck from the night market as needed though. Hopefully-- last night, Friday night, it wasn't as big as on Thursday.

Sooooo, that's about it for now. Now to wade through the fucking eternal wall of email.

No comments:

Post a Comment